theICEway is very proud to say that we are a member of the Disability Confident employer scheme. Today we look at this fantastic scheme in more detail.
“Creating A Movement Of Change”
The scheme was launched to urge employers to think differently about disability. It actively encourages them to then take action to improve their recruitment processes by retaining and developing disabled people. Developed by employers and representatives of the disabled, the scheme is described as “rigorous but easily accessible”. Aimed predominantly at smaller businesses, Disability Confident provides employers with the knowledge and skills required to attract disabled people and help them to thrive in the workplace.
- 7.6 million working age people in the UK have a disability
- 11 million employees work for Disability Confident businesses
- There are over 20,000 businesses enrolled in the scheme
- These businesses are challenging attitudes towards disability
- They are also helping to increase the understanding of disability
What Does Being A Member Entail?
There are 3 levels of involvement, with level 1 including the following commitments:- Inclusive and accessible recruitment
- Communicating vacancies
- Offering interviews to disabled people
- Providing reasonable adjustments
- Supporting existing employees
There are also activities included, with members required to engage in at least one of the following:- Work experience
- Work trials
- Paid employment
- Job shadowing
- Student placements
- Sector-based work academy placements
If you are thinking about joining up, then you can take the first steps by visiting the GOV website.
The Disability Confident campaign works with employers to remove barriers. It helps to increase understanding and also ensures that disabled people have opportunities to fulfil their potential. Any organisation involved is doing so because they have a positive approach to employing disabled people. We are delighted then to be amongst those involved and look forward to welcoming future employees!
Visit our Disability Confident Committed webpage for more info.
Leave a Comment